Saturday 15 December 2012

Christmas gift advice.

WARNING !!!

It's that time of year again, where we secretly hope that well-wishers don't fall into the trap of believing that what we really need is a Filofax product of their choosing, rather than ours. A well intentioned gift could condemn the hapless recipient to many years of binder shuffling, where you occasionally move your life out of the binder you love, and into some hideous thing you'll come to despise, but feel compelled to be seen using now and again to avoid any secret animosity during the coming years.

As I write this, revelling in the slightly unusual situation (for a bloke) of having missed the crowds by buying early this year, I can imagine well meaning buyers falling for the delights of that discounted binder in WH Smith's, clutching that well thumbed Metropol as they queue for the till, together with a cheap variety pack of assorted coloured papers - the ones where the holes are much larger than those used with Filofax paper, so you have to use your free hand to stop the sheet joggling up and down excessively as you reach half way down the page.

Let's face it, we'd rather buy it ourselves, right?

So my seasonal tip is to make it clear, using your inimitable tact and diplomacy, that you love your current binder, have already selected a 2013 diary, and that the wise buyer steers well clear of Filofax dilemmas at this time of year.

5 comments:

  1. Thank you, this is a great post!
    Last Christmas my husband struggled with what to get me & joked that he could always buy me a filofax. He was only joking as he knows how particular I am about them, but it did get me thinking about the subject, just like you say.

    This year I snapped up a bargain one on eBay & just asked for a donation to its cost :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anita - sounds like you're doing the right thing.

      Delete
  2. I bought my mother, sister, and daughter-in-law Filofaxes for Christmas. Maybe if they don't like the ones I selected they can swap them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's ok to buy someone a filofax, just to get them started, but once they become enthusiasts they'll become more knowledgable about what they prefer. Definitely a great present for someone who hasn't had one before.

      Delete
  3. Totally - I almost ended up stalking a woman around a store because she had shown a ridiculous amount of interest in the Apex binders and I was very worried that she would buy one for a Filofax lover :-)

    ReplyDelete